Wednesday, October 1, 2008

Eat Your Veggies



Hey...do ya know that it's World Vegetarian Day? Don't know 'bout ya, but I love my veggies.



Now, I have nothing against eating meat, I happen to eat it myself. But, I tend to be picky about the meat that I do consume. It needs to be humanly raised (pasture raised).


I do however perter to eat a non animal protein meal, it's just tastier. I love salads, veggies, hummus, fruits, etc.






Here's two quick easy recipes for a vegan lunch. Enjoy!

Sweet Potato Cornbread

2 cups all-purpose flour
2 cups cornmeal
1/2 cup sugar
7 teaspoons baking powder
2 teaspoons salt
4 egg, beaten
3/4 cup milk
1/3 cup vegetable oil
2 2/3 cups mashed cooked sweet potatoes
In a large bowl, combine the first five ingredients. In a small bowl, combine the eggs, milk, oil and sweet potatoes. Stir into dry ingredients just until moistened. Pour into a greased 13-in. x 9-in. x 2-in. baking pan.

Bake at 425 degrees F for 30-35 minutes or until a toothpick inserted near the center comes out clean. Cut into squares. Serve warm

Kale with Spicy Peanut Dressing
Kale
Peanuts
Red Onions

Spicy Peanut Dressing
3 Cups Peanut Butter
9 tbsp Just like honey (honey works also)
3/4 Cup Soy Sauce
3/4 Cup Brown Rice Vinegar
3 tsp Minced garlic
2 tbsp Ginger
1 tsp Cayenne Pepper
1 tsp Salt
9 oz Hot Water

Blanch the Kale: Remove the Kale from the stems. Add a pinch of Salt to a pot of boiling water, then blanch the Kale. Remove the Kale from the boiling water and shock it in a container of ice water. Finally, squeeze the excess water out of the cooled Kale.

Spicy Peanut Dressing: Place all dressing ingredients into a blender and blend it until it comes to a smooth consistency.

Drizzle the dressing on top of the Kale and mix the two together. Garnish with chopped red onions and chopped peanuts.


Serve with iced tea

Bon Appetit!

No comments:

Post a Comment

WOW! Thanks, you made my day! Doggie & Pony kisses sent! Please come back....real soon.